Affordable Insulin Now (AIN) is a campaign to encourage the U.S. Congress to support legislation to lower the cost of insulin. AIN is a project of Health Care Voter, itself a division of the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a left-of-center advocacy nonprofit managed by the for-profit consulting firm Arabella Advisors.
AIN is led by Rosemary Enobakhare, though her name does not appear on the group’s website. 1
Affordable Insulin Now’s website compiles stories about patients suffering dealing with expensive insulin access and relevant proposed legislation. 2
AIN is one of two projects by Health Care Voter. The other is Health Care Facts, which advocates for government regulations to lower healthcare costs. Rosemary Enobakhare is the leader of both groups. 3
AIN blames high insulin and healthcare costs on the greed of pharmaceutical companies, and has asserted that former President Donald Trump fought against reasonable measures to provide affordable health care. 4
Affordable Insulin Now lists 56 partner organizations, nearly all of which are left-of-center nonprofits and labor unions, including the American Federation of Teachers, change.org, Forward Majority, National Education Association, People’s Action, Public Citizen, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Planned Parenthood, ProgressNow, Latino Victory Project, MoveOn.org, and Generation Progress. 5
- McNeil Jr., Donald G. “To Drive Down Insulin Prices, W.H.O. Will Certify Generic Versions.” New York Times. November 13, 2019. Accessed December 7, 2021. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/13/health/insulin-prices-generic-who.html.
- “Affordable Insulin Now.” Affordable Insulin Now. Accessed December 7, 2021. https://www.affordableinsulinnow.org/.
- “Health Care in America Costs Too Much.” Health Care Facts. Accessed December 7, 2021. https://www.healthcarefacts.info/.
- “Our Mission.” Affordable Insulin Now. Accessed December 7, 2021. https://www.affordableinsulinnow.org/our-mission/.
- “Our Partners.” Affordable Insulin Now. Accessed December 7, 2021. https://www.affordableinsulinnow.org/our-partners/.