Not One Penny (NOP) is a left-of-center tax advocacy group created to oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (popularly known as the 2017 Tax Reform), a tax package passed by Congressional Republicans and signed into law by President Donald Trump in November 2017. NOP refers to the act as the “GOP tax scam” and the “Trump Tax.”1
“Repeal the Trump Tax Tour”
NOP engages in activist campaigns such as the “Repeal the Trump Tax Tour,”4 which was launched on December 21, 2017. The campaign is intended to pressure members of Congress to repeal provisions of the 2017 tax reform package.5
In addition, NOP’s campaign against the 2017 Tax Reform Act includes paid advertisements in eight Republican-controlled congressional districts intended to pressure Republican members of Congress to repeal the act.6
2018 Midterm Election
In the 2018 midterm election, Not One Penny spent nearly $98,000 dollars in negative advertisements against Pennsylvania state Rep. Rick Saccone (R-Alleghany County) in the March 2018 special election for the 18th U.S. House of Representatives seat in Pennsylvania. 7 Saccone lost the election to U.S. Rep. Conor Lamb (D) by slightly over 700 votes. 8
NOP’s coalition partners include major left-wing funding organizations and activist groups, including People for the American Way, Indivisible, MoveOn.org, Stand Up America, NextGen Climate America, Working Families Alliance, Public Citizen, Center for American Progress Action Fund, and the 32BJ SEIU labor union.9
As a project of the Sixteen Thirty Fund, Not One Penny is funded entirely by its fiscal sponsor. As such, NOP’s funding is unpublished, and it is directly operated by Sixteen Thirty Fund staffers.
- “About Not One Penny | Not One Penny in Tax Cuts for Millionaires, Billionaires, and Wealthy Corporations.” Not One Penny | Fight for True Tax Reform for All Americans. December 20, 2017. Accessed July 10, 2018. https://notonepenny.org/about/.
- Bland, Scott. “Liberal Secret-money Network Hammers House GOP.” POLITICO. July 29, 2018. Accessed January 08, 2019. https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/29/democrats-dark-money-midterms-house-745145.
- “Not One Penny | Fighting for True Tax Reform for All Americans.” Not One Penny. Accessed July 08, 2018. https://notonepenny.org/.
- “We Have to Fight Back.” RSS. Accessed July 08, 2018. https://repealthetrumptax.org/.
- “Not One Penny Announces First “Repeal the TrumpTax” Tour Partners | Not One Penny in Tax Cuts for Millionaires, Billionaires, and Wealthy Corporations.” Not One Penny | Fight for True Tax Reform for All Americans. December 22, 2017. Accessed July 10, 2018. https://notonepenny.org/not-one-penny-announces-first-repeal-the-trumptax-tour-partners/.
- Weigel, David. “Liberals Launch ‘Not One Penny’ Campaign in Effort to Stop Trump Tax Cuts.” The Washington Post. August 03, 2017. Accessed July 08, 2018. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/08/03/liberals-launch-not-one-penny-campaign-in-effort-to-stop-trump-tax-cuts/?utm_term=.fc3640ef7db6.
- “SIXTEEN THIRTY FUND/NOT ONE PENNY – Committee Overview.” FEC.gov. Accessed January 10, 2019. https://www.fec.gov/data/committee/C90017484/?tab=spending.
- Bradner, Eric. “Republican Rick Saccone Concedes 8 Days after Pennsylvania Special Election.” CNN. March 22, 2018. Accessed January 10, 2019. https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/politics/lamb-saccone-concession/index.html.
- “Not One Penny | Fighting for True Tax Reform for All Americans.” Not One Penny | Fight for True Tax Reform for All Americans. Accessed July 10, 2018. https://notonepenny.org/#partners.