Service Employees International Union Healthcare Pennsylvania (SEIU Healthcare PA) is a “mega-local” of the SEIU labor union, representing services employees, nurses, other healthcare workers, and government workers in the state of Pennsylvania.
Like its parent union, SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is politically involved in left-of-center circles. It consistently supports and endorses Democratic and left-progressive candidates and policies throughout the state of Pennsylvania.
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania was founded in 1978 and claims nearly 45,000 members. It is one of four SEIU-affiliated unions in Pennsylvania, alongside SEIU Local 668, SEIU Local 32BJ, and the Pennsylvania Joint Board of Workers United. 1 As of 2020, it is the largest SEIU local in Pennsylvania, as well as the largest healthcare and nursing union in the state. 2
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is a strong supporter of Nurse Alliance PA, a local chapter of the SEIU’s Nurse Alliance. SEIU Healthcare PA press releases, especially in recent years, largely revolve around organizing and recruiting more dues-paying nursing members. 3
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania routinely endorses Democratic candidates over Republicans. In 2014, for example, SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania endorsed Democratic gubernatorial candidate Tom Wolf and, in 2015, announced its support for Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. 4
SEIU Healthcare PA is a member and regular contributor to Pittsburgh UNITED, a left-wing coalition of Pennsylvania-based labor unions and environmentalist organizations that pushes for a higher minimum wage and rent controls in Pittsburgh. 5
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania has also been a longtime advocate for an increase in Pennsylvania’s minimum wage to $15 per hour, a policy proscription that is part of SEIU’s national push to raise the federal minimum wage. 6
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania’s 2017 tax returns show total revenues of $17,472,936 and total expenses of $16,701,291. 7
In 2017, it gave $240,785 to SEIU’s COPE (Committee on Political Education) Fund, the national union’s political action committee. 8
In 2017, it also contributed $10,000 to Pittsburgh United. 9
The President of SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is Matt Yarnell. In 2019, the union reported that his total compensation was $112,734. 10
- SEIU Pennsylvania Locals. (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2020, from http://seiupa.org/about/seiu-pennsylvania-locals/
- About Us. (n.d.). Retrieved August 31, 2020, from http://www.seiuhcpa.org/about/
- Nurse Alliance. (n.d.). Retrieved August 31, 2020, from http://www.seiuhcpa.org/2019/12/23/nurse-alliance/
- SEIU Endorses Tom Wolf for Pa. Governor. (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2020, from http://seiupa.org/2014/06/08/seiu-endorses-tom-wolf-for-pa-governor/ ; SEIU PA endorses Hillary Clinton for president. (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2020, from http://seiupa.org/2015/11/24/seiu-pa-endorses-hillary-clinton-for-president/
- Pittsburgh UNITED. (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2020, from https://pittsburghunited.org/
- Governor Wolf Recommits to Fighting for $15. (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2020, from http://seiupa.org/2020/01/31/governor-wolf-recommits-to-fighting-for-15/
- SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania, Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax (Form 990), 2017, Part I
- SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania, Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax (Form 990), 2017, Schedule C
- SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania, Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax (Form 990), 2017, Schedule I
- SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania (Department of Labor File Number 508-577), Annual Report of a Labor Organization, 2019, Schedule 11.