Trans United is a left-of-center advocacy group for other pro-transgender organizations. It also endorses transgender-movement-aligned legislation and legislation to promote prostitution and other forms of “sex work.” Trans United has condemned left of-center transgender-interest groups which advocate for similar issues for insufficient commitment to intersectional left-progressivism.
Criticism of LGBT-Interest Groups
On March 6, 2020, Trans United signed a letter calling for the resignation of the leader of the Amsterdam Gay Pride Foundation. The letter condemned chairman Frits Huffnagel for acknowledging that some migrants were likely guilty of war crimes. The statement accused Amsterdam Gay Pride Foundation of “normalizing” racism, xenophobia, and Islamophobia. 1
In 2019, organizing director Day Pope and executive director Daroneshia Duncan-Boyd signed a letter condemning the transgender-interest group National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE). The statement asserts that NCTE’s internal policies and laws they advocate for cause violence against people who identify as transgender. 2
Trans United is a member of Sex Worker Advocates Coalition, which endorsed a bill that would decriminalize prostitution in Washington, D.C. The bill failed, although a similar measure was proposed by the organization Decriminalize Sex Work. Trans United Fund opposed Decriminalize Sex Work’s ballot measure due to, among other issues, the organization being “a mostly white male, cisgender dominated organization”. On March 3, 2020, Decriminalize Sex Work announced its withdrawal of the ballot measure in response to pressure from the Sex Worker Advocates Coalition. 3 4
Organizing director Day Pope stated that transgender people have endured an increase in death threats because of President Donald Trump. 5
On November 5, 2016, Trans United held a press conference in Raleigh, North Carolina in opposition to HB2, a bill to reverse a decision permitting people to choose restrooms based on “gender identity.” 6
- “Open Brief: Amsterdam Gay Pride, Send Frits Huffnagel Away.” One World. March 6, 2020. Accessed March 24, 2020. https://www.oneworld.nl/lezen/opinie/open-brief-amsterdam-gay-pride-stuur-frits-huffnagel-weg/
- “Over 400 Trans Community Leaders Stand With Former NCTE Staff.” Out. December 12, 2019. Accessed March 24, 2020. https://www.out.com/activism/2019/12/11/over-400-trans-community-leaders-stand-former-ncte-staff
- hibbaro Jr., Lou. “Nat’l group withdraws D.C. measure to decriminalize sex work.” The Washington Blade. March 4, 2020. Accessed March 24, 2020. https://www.washingtonblade.com/2020/03/04/natl-group-withdraws-d-c-measure-to-decriminalize-sex-work/
- Chibbaro Jr., Lou. “LGBTQ groups join opposition to D.C. sex work decriminalization ballot measure.” The Washington Blade. February 20, 2020. Accessed March 24, 2020. https://www.washingtonblade.com/2020/02/20/lgbtq-groups-join-opposition-to-d-c-sex-work-decriminalization-ballot-measure/
- Sahouri, Andrea May. “Transphobic flyers highlight fears among transgender community in Des Moines.” Des Moines Register. October 12, 2019. Accessed March 24, 2020. https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2019/10/12/transphobic-flyers-seen-des-moines-spark-fear-transgender-iowa-white-supremacy-racism-medicaid-cuts/2435100001/
- Lavers, Michael K. “HB 2 top issue among trans N.C. voters.” The Washington Blade. November 6, 2016. Accessed March 24, 2020. https://www.washingtonblade.com/2016/11/06/hb-2-top-issue-among-trans-n-c-voters/
- Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation. “BLACK LIVES MATTER 2020 IMPACT REPORT.” Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, 2021. https://blacklivesmatter.com/2020-impact-report/.