United Democratic Headquarters (UDH) is a coalition of activists in clubs and organizations who support the Democratic Party, promote left-of-center political activism in issue areas such as health care and the environment, and promote Democratic candidates. 1
United Democratic Headquarters has raised over $1 million to support various organizations that are associated with the Democratic Party, primarily in California. 2 UDH runs and participates various events to accelerate its political agendas such as virtual events, kick-off parties, 3 and even vigils such as the Pasadena Vigil for the anniversary of the events of January 6th at the U.S. Capitol, which featured Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), and chair of UDH Hoyt Hilsman. 4 It Is also partnered with Field Team 6, 5 a pro-Democratic Party voter mobilization group that seeks to register Democratic voters in 10 states to maintain Democratic control of U.S. Congress. 6
The UDH has had various individuals give it donations such as the former president of the California Public Utilities Commission Michael Peevey, U.S. Representative Adam Schiff, and California Democratic Party financial operative Kinde Durkee. 7 Durkee later admitted to embezzling more than $7 million from a significant amount of California Democrats such as Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA). She pleaded to five counts of fraud, was sentenced to serve 8 years and 1 month in prison and was ordered to pay $10.5 million in restitution. 8
Hoyt R. Hilsman is the chair of the UDH and a former trustee of Pasadena City College. 9 He is the son of Roger Hilsman, Jr., who was a former commando raider during World War II and the director of the Bureau of Intelligence and Research under the administration of John F. Kennedy, where he played key roles in foreign policy during the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Vietnam War. 10 Hilsman ran for Congress in District 26 of the state of California in 2006. He is also a writer, critic, and journalist. He is a regular critic for Daily Variety, chair of the PEN West drama awards, and former President of the Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle. Hilsman has written for national newspapers and magazines, such as The Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Magazine, The Baltimore Sun, and The New York Times, and has been a columnist for the HuffPost. 11 He has written films and television shows for the major studios and networks, including Sony, Disney, New Line, ABC and CBS. 12
- “Who We Are.” United Democratic Headquarters. Accessed September 5, 2022. https://www.udh-events.com/who-we-are.
- “PAC Profile: Pasadena Area United Democratic Headquarters.” OpenSecrets. Accessed September 5, 2022. https://www.opensecrets.org/political-action-committees-pacs/pasadena-area-united-democratic-headquarters/C00380568/summary/2008.
- “United Democratic HQ.” United Democratic Headquarters. Accessed September 5, 2022. https://www.udh-events.com/.
- Rivera, Eddie. “Pasadena Vigil Marks Anniversary of January 6 Assault on U.S. Capitol.” Pasadena Now. Last modified January 7, 2022. https://www.pasadenanow.com/main/pasadena-vigil-marks-anniversary-of-january-6-insurrection.
- “Field Team 6.” FieldTeam6. Accessed September 5, 2022. https://www.fieldteam6.org/mission.
- “Register Democrats. Save the World.” FieldTeam6. Accessed September 5, 2022. https://www.fieldteam6.org/.
- “Pasadena Area United Democratic Headquarters.” LittleSis. Accessed September 5, 2022. https://littlesis.org/org/81829-Pasadena_Area_United_Democratic_Headquarters.
-  Maddaus, Gene. “Kinde Durkee, Disgraced Political Treasurer, Agrees To 8-Year Sentence.” LA Weekly. Last modified May 23, 2019. https://www.laweekly.com/kinde-durkee-disgraced-political-treasurer-agrees-to-8-year-sentence/.
- Hilsman, Hoyt. “Guest Opinion | Hoyt Hilsman: Democracy and America’s Culture Wars.” Pasadena Now. Last modified February 3, 2022. https://www.pasadenanow.com/main/guest-opinion-hoyt-hilsman-democracy-and-americas-culture-wars.
- Schudel, Matt. “Roger Hilsman, foreign policy adviser to JFK, dies at 94.” The Washington Post. Last modified March 8, 2014. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/roger-hilsman-foreign-policy-adviser-to-jfk-dies-at-94/2014/03/08/e6d1e66e-a63e-11e3-a5fa-55f0c77bf39c_story.html.
- “Hoyt Hilsman.” LA Drama Critics Circle. Accessed September 5, 2022. https://ladramacriticscircle.com/hoyt-hilsman/.
- “Hoyt Hilsman.” HuffPost. Accessed September 5, 2022. https://www.huffpost.com/author/hoyth75-807.