The National Organization For Women for California (CaNOW) is a chapter of the National Organization For Women (NOW), a group which supports liberal social policies. CaNOW is primarily focused on abortion, gender discrimination, and left-of-center economic policies. 1
The National Organization For Women of California hosts an annual conference for its members. Its 2021 virtual conference included presentations by representatives from Chinese for Affirmative Action, DemocraShe, and Sex Positive Los Angeles, as well as California Assembly Member Cristina Garcia (D). 3
Spousal Rape Legislation
The National Organization For Women of California was a partner of the Enough is Enough Voter Project in a campaign to end the practice of setting lower criminal punishments for rape committed by a spouse compared with the penalties for rapes committed by other people. Other members of the campaign included the Los Angeles County Democratic Party, the Silicon Valley Democratic Club, Equality Now, and the Feminist Majority Foundation. 4 In October 2021, legislation was signed by California Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA). 5
State Audit of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
In March 2021, the National Organization For Women of California and the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) called for a state audit of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (SoCAL MWD) over allegations of sexual harassment, gender discrimination, and “bullying.” Six of the 18 female employees at the organization filed complaints between 2005-2019. In June, the Joint Legislative Audit Committee approved an investigation. 6 7
- “CA0000 California Now.” California Now. Accessed August 11, 2022. https://now.org/chapter/california-now/.
- “Our Partners.” Field Team 6. Accessed August 9, 2022. https://www.fieldteam6.org/mission.
- “2021 Virtual Conference.” California Now. Accessed August 11, 2022. https://www.canow.org/uncategorized/2021-annual-virtual-conference/.
- “United to Make HerStory.” Facebook. August 24, 2021. Accessed August 11, 2022. https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaNOW/photos/a.10152029647820140/10159437691990140/.
- “Bill To End Spousal Rape Distinction Is Signed By Governor.” Representative Dave Cortese. October 7, 2021. Accessed August 11, 2022. https://sd15.senate.ca.gov/news/bill-end-spousal-rape-distinction-signed-governor.
- Elmahrek, Adam. “State launches audit of sexual harassment policies at powerful Southern California water agency.” Los Angeles Times. June 30, 2021. Accessed August 11, 2022. https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-06-30/state-launches-audit-of-sexual-harassment-policies-at-powerful-southern-california-water-agency.
- “@AFSCME.” Twitter. March 26, 2021. Accessed August 11, 2022. https://twitter.com/AFSCME1902/status/1375493574360399875/photo/1.
- “Independent expenditures from: California NOW.” California Secretary of State. Accessed August 9, 2022. http://powersearch.sos.ca.gov:3000/.