Intelligent Community Forum (ICF) is a think tank that works with cities and companies across the globe to advocate for data-collection and management policies that may lead to increased tracking of civilians. 1
ICF provides annual awards to cities that are part of its network and based on its rating system. It rates cities based on how involved local governments are in making the internet accessible and using digital tools and data techniques. 2 3
Founded in 2004, Intelligent Community Forum (formally known as Intelligent Community Forum Foundation) is a think tank that advocates for cities globally to use modern technology in their city planning to address social issues and “quality of life.” 4 It has a membership program and network system of cities and companies whose leaders meet with ICF and have access to its research. 5 As of January 2023, ICF has over 180 cities listed in its network and 21 member cities. 6
President of Taiwan Tsai Ing-wen; Suvi Linden, while serving in her role as Minister of Communications for Finland and member of the United Nations Commission for Digital Development; Michael Bloomberg, former Mayor of New York City; Jim Balsillie; and other elected officials and corporate leaders have praised the work of ICF while discussing how their country, city, or company implements their research in their policies. 7
John Jung is a businessman and cofounder and president of Intelligent Community Forum. Jung previously served as president and CEO of the Greater Toronto Marketing Alliance, Calgary Economic Development Authority and Canada’s Technology Triangle. He has also been published in numerous journals discussing urban planning and economic development and advocating for government subsidies to increase access to technology for surveillance. 8
Robert Bell is a cofounder of IFC and serves as a director in charge of its research, analysis, and content development. Bell is the lead author for ICF’s reports and white papers, and he is also a contributor to The Municipal Journal of Telecommunications Policy, IEDC Journal, Telecommunications, Asia-Pacific Satellite and Asian Communications. 9
Between 2015 and 2019, membership fees accounted for 99 percent of Intelligent Community Forum’s revenue. 10 11 In 2019, ICF reported receiving $58,000 in revenue and $75,000 in expenses, $41,000 of which was spent on salaries. 12
- “What Is an Intelligent Community?” Intelligent Community Forum. Accessed January 8, 2023. https://www.intelligentcommunity.org/what_is_an_intelligent_community.
- “Intelligent Community Forum Benchmarking Assistance ‘ Blandin Foundation.” Blandin Foundation, August 21, 2019. https://blandinfoundation.org/articles/intelligent-community-forum-benchmarking-assistance/.
- City, Smart. “The Intelligent Community Forum Names the Global Top7 Intelligent Communities of 2021.” The Smart City Journal, July 6, 2021. https://www.thesmartcityjournal.com/en/ciudades/the-intelligent-community-forum-names-the-global-top7-intelligent-communities-of-2021.
- “About ICF.” Intelligent Community Forum. Accessed January 8, 2023. https://www.intelligentcommunity.org/about_icf.
-  “Organizational Membership & Partnership.” Intelligent Community Forum. Accessed January 8, 2023. https://www.intelligentcommunity.org/organizational_membership.
- “Members.” Intelligent Community Forum. Accessed January 8, 2023. https://www.intelligentcommunity.org/members.
- “Thought Leaders.” Intelligent Community Forum. Accessed January 8, 2023. https://www.intelligentcommunity.org/thought_leaders.
- “John G. Jung.” Intelligent Community Forum. Accessed January 8, 2023. https://www.intelligentcommunity.org/john_g_jung#:~:text=ICF%20co%2Dfounder%20John%20G,as%20the%20Forum’s%20leading%20visionary.
- “Robert Bell.” Intelligent Community Forum. Accessed January 8, 2023. https://www.intelligentcommunity.org/robert_bell.
- Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax(Form 990). Intelligent Community Forum Foundation. 2019. Schedule A, Part III, line 1.
- Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax(Form 990). Intelligent Community Forum Foundation. 2015-2019. Part I, line 9.
- Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax(Form 990). Intelligent Community Forum Foundation. 2019. Part !, lines 9-17.