350 Mass for a Better Future (350 Mass) is a child organization of 350.org, a left-of-center environmentalist organization that advocates for a complete elimination of the use of fossil fuels and is a project of the Better Future Project. 350 Mass also advocates for legislation to impose legal “equity standards” among racial and social groups. 1
350 Mass has “working groups” for activists to join and volunteer for specific projects. As of February 2020, 350 Mass operates the Transportation Working Group, which advocates for eliminating all carbon emissions in public transportation, and the Solidarity Working Group, which advocates for left-of-center social policy causes. 2
350 Mass published several press releases critical of the Trump administration’s immigration policy, claiming that there is a lack of “immigration justice” and a need to prioritize the “well-being” of all people. 3
Alongside 200 other groups, 350 Mass has joined the Transportation Climate Initiative, which calls on Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic states to place legal limits on carbon emissions and implement so-called equity standards for “underserved communities.” 4
350 Mass has also advocated to prevent the development of new fracking projects. 5
Cabell Eames is a legislative manager for 350 Mass and advises 350 Mass Action to elect left-of-center environmentalist politicians. She has previously worked as a campaign manager for several 350 Mass campaigns. 7
Sam Payne is a digital organizer for 350 Mass and is responsible for its press releases and newsletters. 8
350 Mass receives all funding from and directs donors to make contributions to the left-of-center Better Future Project. 9 In 2019, the Better Future Project received $868,029 in contributions and $870,647 in total revenue. 10 It also reported $691,108 in salaries paid and $828,717 in total expenses. 11
- “Values & Principles.” 350 Massachusetts. Accessed February 2, 2021. https://350mass.betterfutureproject.org/values.
- “Working Groups.” 350 Massachusetts. Accessed February 2, 2021. https://350mass.betterfutureproject.org/working_groups.
- “Press Releases.” 350 Massachusetts. Accessed February 2, 2021. https://350mass.betterfutureproject.org/media.
- “200 ORGANIZATIONS URGE NORTHEAST, MID-ATLANTIC GOVERNORS TO MOVE ON ‘AMBITIOUS AND EQUITABLE’ TRANSPORTATION AND CLIMATE INITIATIVE (TCI).” Insider NJ. Accessed February 2, 2021. https://www.insidernj.com/press-release/200-organizations-urge-northeast-mid-atlantic-governors-move-ambitious-equitable-transportation-climate-initiative-tci/.
- Wasser, Miriam. “The Controversial Natural Gas Compressor In Weymouth, Explained.” The Controversial Natural Gas Compressor In Weymouth, Explained | Earthwhile. WBUR, October 13, 2020. https://www.wbur.org/earthwhile/2020/10/13/weymouth-compressor-explainer-climate-change-enbridge-natural-gas-fracking.
- Palm, Alan. “Alan Palm.” LinkedIn. Accessed February 2, 2021. https://www.linkedin.com/in/alan-palm-966b29b/.
- Eames, Cabell. “Cabell Eames.” LinkedIn. Accessed February 2, 2021. https://www.linkedin.com/in/cabelleames/.
- “Staff Support for 350 Mass.” 350 Massachusetts. Accessed February 2, 2021. https://350mass.betterfutureproject.org/staff.
- “Support 350 Massachusetts for a Better Future.” 350 Massachusetts. Accessed February 1, 2021. https://350mass.betterfutureproject.org/350madonate.
- Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax (Form 990). Better Future Project. 2019. Part I, Lines 8-12.
- Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax (Form 990). Better Future Project. 2019. Part I, Lines 13-18.