The World Resources Institute Fund (WRIF) is a charitable organization tied to the World Resources Institute (WRI), a nonprofit research organization that conducts global research on environmentalist subjects, such as climate change and environmentalist energy sources. WRI receives hundreds of millions of dollars a year in grants from government agencies, private foundations, and corporations. 1
WRIF was created by WRI as a corporation with the intent of being operated “exclusively” for the benefit of the World Resources Institute. WRIF can sponsor research, produce reports, provide funding to WRI, and “engage in like activities” to support WRI’s environmentalist goals. 2
Finances and Leadership
WRIF’s total revenue in 2002 amounted to $79 from “interest on savings and temporary cash investments.” WRIF had $801,995 in total expenses, $241,586 of which it spent on salaries and wages, $37,514 on employee benefits, and $15,976 on pension plan contributions. WRIF also reported spending $32,835 on publishing, $23,317 on travel, $17,714 for conferences and meetings, and $417,187 was spent on miscellaneous other expenditures. WRIF reported a total of $1,477,844 in assets and $1,478,112 in total liabilities for the same year. 5
The WRIF has no members aside from its president Andrew Steer, co-chairs James Harmon and David Blood, vice chairs Susan Tierney and Pamela Flaherty, treasurer Steven Barker, and corporate secretary Jocelyn Starzack. 6
- Sisi Wei Mike Tigas, “World Resources Institute – Nonprofit Explorer,” ProPublica, May 9, 2013, https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/521257057.
- “Articles of Incorporation – World Resources Institute Fund,” wri.org, accessed April 19, 2021, https://wriorg.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/uploads/wrif_articles_of_incorporation.pdf.
- “World Resources Institute 990 Tax Return (Public Inspection),” wri.org, accessed April 19, 2021, https://wriorg.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/uploads/wri-2018-form-990.pdf.
- Sisi Wei Mike Tigas, “World Resources Institute Fund – Nonprofit Explorer,” ProPublica, May 9, 2013, https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/521464425.
- Sisi Wei Mike Tigas, “WORLD RESOURCES INSTITUTE FUND – Form Form 990 for Period Ending Sep 2002 – Nonprofit Explorer,” ProPublica, May 9, 2013, https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/521464425/2003_03_EO%2F52-1464425_990_200209.
- Sisi Wei Mike Tigas, “WORLD RESOURCES INSTITUTE FUND – Form Form 990-EZ for Period Ending Sep 2019 – Nonprofit Explorer,” ProPublica, May 9, 2013, https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/521464425/10_2020_prefixes_52-55%2F521464425_201909_990EZ_2020102317403124.