Student News Daily is an independent, nonprofit news website geared towards high school students, primarily focused on current events. Student News Daily aims to expand students’ knowledge of current events and ability to think critically. To this end, Student News Daily posts published news stories and current events from a variety of news organizations, along with critical thinking and comprehension questions. 1
Student News Daily is made up of six main categories: daily news article, Tuesday’s world events, Wednesday’s example of media bias, Thursday’s editorial, editorial cartoon, and Friday’s news quiz. Daily news article includes critical thinking and comprehension questions, background information, and other resources like videos, maps, and related links. Tuesday’s world events includes three international news stories with questions, background information, and additional resources. Wednesday’s example of media bias includes definitions of types of media bias along with an example of biased reporting. Thursday’s editorials include an opinion article from the internet and ask students to explain their reactions and opinions. Editorial cartoons are posted every Friday and ask students to show an understanding of the cartoon’s intended meaning. Friday’s news quiz is a ten-question quiz related to the week’s Daily News Articles. In addition to the six main categories, Student News Daily posts “extras” on Mondays, featuring human-interest news stories. 2
Student News Daily provides a resource called “Conservative vs. Liberal Beliefs,” which provides a side-by-side comparison of these two viewpoints. Student News Daily claims that while everyone wants freedom, the chance for prosperity, less suffering, healthy children, and a society free from crime, that the conservative and liberal approaches to achieving these things are quite different. Student News Daily describes liberals as relying on government action to attain equal opportunity and equality, alleviate social ills, and protect personal rights and civil liberties, while conservatives believe government should be limited to allow individuals personal responsibility in pursuing their own goals, supported by a free market system, traditional American values, and a strong national defense. Student News Daily goes on to compare conservative and liberal beliefs on issues like abortion, education, climate change, healthcare, same-sex marriage, religion, and welfare. 3
In response to a 2017 report by the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation, 4 in which 44% of millennials said they would prefer to live in a socialist country, Student News Daily provides a resource called “Socialism vs. Capitalism,” which defines each system. Student News Daily includes side-by-side comparisons of the goals of each system, along with the terms, countries, and people involved in each. Student News Daily also provides videos, links to related articles, political cartoons, and a quote by Milton Friedman, calling socialism a failure and advocating for free-market systems. 5
StudentNewsDaily.com is funded by donations from individuals, foundations, and businesses. While StudentNewsDaily.com does not disclose its donors, tax filings confirm donations from DonorsTrust ($70,000 in 2019), 6 Donors Capital Fund ($25,000 in 2015), 7 and the Covenant Foundation ($5,000 in 2015). 8
Board of Directors
The board of StudentNewsDaily.com consists of Kathy Privrat, Jane Privrat, and John Privrat. 9
- “About Us.” StudentNewsDaily.com. Accessed June 26, 2023. https://www.studentnewsdaily.com/about-us/.
- “New to the Site?” StudentNewsDaily.com. Accessed June 26, 2023. https://www.studentnewsdaily.com/new-to-the-site/.
- “Conservative vs. Liberal Beliefs.” StudentNewsDaily.com. Accessed June 26, 2023. https://www.studentnewsdaily.com/conservative-vs-liberal-beliefs/.
- “2017 Poll.” Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation, October 2017. Accessed June 26, 2023. https://victimsofcommunism.org/annual-poll/2017-annual-poll/.
- “Socialism vs Capitalism.” StudentNewsDaily.com. Accessed June 26, 2023. https://www.studentnewsdaily.com/socialism-vs-capitalism/.
- DonorsTrust, Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax (Form 990), 2019, Schedule I, Part II.
- Donors Capital Fund, Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax (Form 990), 2015, Schedule I, Part II.
- Covenant Foundation, Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax (Form 990), 2015, Schedule I, Part II.
- StudentNewsDaily.com Inc, Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax (Form 990-EZ), 2019, Part IV.