350 Pittsburgh is a child organization of 350.org, a left-of-center environmentalist organization that advocates for eliminating the use of conventional energy sources. 350 Pittsburgh is a project of the Thomas Merton Center, a left-of-center nonprofit that promotes left-progressive policy on social issues. 1
350 Pittsburgh has organized protests and campaigns, claiming that there is an “attack on science” by opponents of radical environmentalist policy. 2
350 Pittsburgh advocated for the United States to rejoin the Paris Climate Accords after the Trump administration withdrew from them. The organization has also encouraged private businesses to eliminate carbon emissions and sued conventional energy companies for alleged damages related to the climate. 3 350 Pittsburgh also advocates for a transition away from conventional energy sources that prioritizes the hiring of ethnic minorities through government contracting. 4
350 Pittsburgh has advocated for colleges and universities within Pennsylvania to commit to creating net zero carbon emissions. 5 It also campaigns for activists and community members to renovate their homes in order to run only on environmentalist energy sources and reduce energy consumption. 6
The Thomas Merton Center is a 501(c)(3) organization. It solicits donations for 350 Pittsburgh and funds it as one of its projects. 7 In 2018, the Thomas Merton Center reported $175,413 in revenue and $209,152 in expenses. It does not disclose how much it spends operating 350 Pittsburgh. 8
- “About.” 350 Pittsburgh. Accessed February 10, 2021. https://world.350.org/pittsburgh/about/.
- Meral, Kenan. “March for Matter: Community Comes Together for Science.” The Pitt News, April 16, 2018. https://pittnews.com/article/130876/news/march-for-matter-students-come-together-for-science/.
- 350 Pittsburgh, December 9, 2019. https://world.350.org/pittsburgh/category/cop21/.
- “Energy Justice.” 350 Pittsburgh. Accessed February 12, 2021. https://world.350.org/pittsburgh/energy-justice/.
- “Carbon Newts.” 350 Pittsburgh. Accessed February 12, 2021. https://world.350.org/pittsburgh/carbon-newts/.
- Green My Home ! Campaign. Accessed February 12, 2021. https://world.350.org/pittsburgh/green-my-home/.
- “Projects.” thomasmertoncenter. Accessed February 12, 2021. https://www.thomasmertoncenter.org/projects.
- Return of Exempt from Income Tax (Form 990). Thomas Merton Center Inc. 2018. Part 1, lines 12-18.