The Nation of Islam (NOI) is a political and religious Islamic movement currently run by Louis Farrakhan. According to the Anti-Defamation League, the NOI “has maintained a consistent of record of anti-Semitism and racism since its founding in the 1930s.” 1 Furthermore, the left-of-center Southern Poverty Law Center classifies the NOI as a “hate group.”2
Activities in the U.S. Prison System
Since 2008, the NOI has received $364,500 from the Bureau of Prison (BOP) in order to provide religious services to inmates.3 This is despite BOP regulations that specify that a volunteer or contractor will be dismissed if the individual has “potential ties to any terrorist-affiliated organizations or individuals; advocates racism or violence.”4 On January 7th, Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-Florida) issued a statement to the acting attorney general to request the BOP stop providing federal funds to the NOI.5
- “The Nation of Islam.” Anti-Defamation League. Accessed January 15, 2019. https://www.adl.org/resources/profiles/the-nation-of-islam.
- “Nation of Islam.” Southern Poverty Law Center. Accessed January 15, 2019. https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/nation-islam.
- Goodman, Alana. “Exclusive: Nation of Islam Receiving Federal Cash to Teach Prisoners.” Washington Examiner. December 19, 2018. Accessed January 15, 2019. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/exclusive-nation-of-islam-receiving-federal-cash-to-teach-prisoners.
- “A Review of the Federal Bureau of Prisons’ Selection of Muslim Religious Services Providers.” U.S. Department of Justice. April 2004. Accessed January 15, 2019. https://oig.justice.gov/special/0404/final.pdf#page=28.
- “Buchanan to Justice Dep’t: Stop Funding Nation of Islam Hate Group.” Congressman Vern Buchanan. January 07, 2019. Accessed January 18, 2019. https://buchanan.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/buchanan-justice-dept-stop-funding-nation-islam-hate-group.