The Ohio Environmental Council Action Fund is an affiliate of the Ohio Environmental Council and was formed in 2015 as OEC’s lobbying arm. OECAF endorses left-of-center candidates that are sympathetic to environmentalism.
In February of 2019, Ohio Environmental Council Action Fund campaigned against Sam Randozzo, nominated by Governor Mike DeWine (R) to serve on the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. Randozzo’s nomination was opposed by environmental groups because of his alleged bias against environmentalist energy projects. 1
In 2019, Ohio legislators approved a financial rescue package for two nuclear power plants in Ohio. The legislation placed a fee on every electricity bill in Ohio and scaled back requirements for power from wind and solar sources. OECAF opposed the legislation. 2
In 2019, OECAF opposed a bill that would allow township voters in Ohio to reject proposed wind farm projects. Despite the bill providing a democratic process to choose whether or not a wind farm project moves forward in a community, OECAF said: “our states failure to embrace new ideas and technologies has created major challenges and stalled renewable energy progress.” 3
Endorsements and Independent Expenditures
In 2016 according to the Federal Elections Commission, Ohio Environmental Council Action Fund spent $57,390 in independent expenditures to oppose President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence. The group also spent $19,378 to oppose U.S. Senator Rob Portman (R-OH) and over $12,000 supporting Portman’s challenger, former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland (D). 4
In 2018, OECAF endorsed Danny O’Connor for Ohio’s 12th Congressional District. Heather Taylor-Miesle provided the endorsement based on Mr. O’Connor’s support to “tackle climate change.” 5 Mr. O’Connor lost in the general election to Congressman Troy Balderson. 6
On the website of the labor-environmental alliance advocacy group For Our Future, Ohio Environmental Council Action Fund is listed as a partner to “build the political power of the environmental movement.” 10
- Chow, Andy. “Environmental Groups Oppose DeWine’s Pick To Lead PUCO.” WOSU Radio. Accessed November 11, 2019. https://radio.wosu.org/post/environmental-groups-oppose-dewines-pick-lead-puco#stream/0.
- Associated Press. “Lawmakers Approve Financial Rescue for Ohio’s Nuclear Plants.” WEWS, July 23, 2019. https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/state/lawmakers-approve-financial-rescue-for-ohios-nuclear-plants.
- Chow, Andy. “Local Advocates Want Ability To Reject Wind Farm Proposals.” The Statehouse News Bureau. Accessed November 11, 2019. https://www.statenews.org/post/local-advocates-want-ability-reject-wind-farm-proposals.
- “OHIO ENVIRONMENTAL COUNCIL ACTION FUND INC. – Committee Overview.” FEC.gov. Accessed November 11, 2019. https://www.fec.gov/data/committee/C90016379/?cycle=2020.
- “LCV Action Fund Endorses Danny O’Connor for Congress.” League of Conservation Voters. Accessed November 11, 2019. https://www.lcv.org/article/lcv-action-fund-endorses-danny-oconnor-congress/.
- Rouan, Rick. “Westerville Turned Blue and Landed a Democratic Presidential Debate.” The Columbus Dispatch. The Columbus Dispatch, October 14, 2019. https://www.dispatch.com/news/20191014/westerville-turned-blue-and-landed-democratic-presidential-debate.
- Kuhns, Matt. “Jeff Wise Earns Police Union Endorsement in Ward 3 Council Race.” Lakewood, OH Patch. Patch, October 2, 2019. https://patch.com/ohio/lakewood-oh/jeff-wise-earns-police-union-endorsement-ward-3-council-race.
- Benson, John. “Lakewood Voters Choose City Council Incumbent and Two Political Newcomers.” cleveland.com, November 11, 2019. https://www.cleveland.com/community/2019/11/lakewood-voters-add-an-incumbent-and-two-political-newcomers-to-city-council.html.
- Dison, Denis. “Major Environmental Groups Endorse Sen. Sherrod Brown for Re-Election.” NRDC Action Fund, March 5, 2018. https://www.nrdcactionfund.org/news/major-environmental-groups-endorse-sen-sherrod-brown-for-re-election/.
- “Our Partners.” For Our Future PAC. Accessed November 11, 2019. https://forourfuturepac.org/partners/.