For the 501(c)(4) affiliate, see All Above All Action Fund (Nonprofit)
All Above All is a project of the 501(c)(3) left-leaning funding entity New Venture Fund and is the sister organization to the All Above All Action Fund, a project of the 501(c)(4) left-leaning funder Sixteen Thirty Fund. Critics have called New Venture Fund a “dark money outfit” which supports numerous left-of-center advocacy organizations.1
All Above All lobbies and advocates at the state and federal level to overturn the Hyde Amendment, a legislative provision passed by Congress in 1976 that forbids the use of federal funds to pay for abortions except in extreme circumstances. The Equal Access to Abortion Coverage in Health Insurance (EACH Woman) Act of 2017 (H.R. 771), is the main legislative effort of All Above All and its affiliated action fund. If passed into law, the act will directly connect federal dollars with abortions through all public health insurance plans.2
All Above All is a project of the New Venture Fund (NVF), and is therefore not required to file a separate tax return. All Above All receives contributions from individual donors, but could also be receiving any portion of the $19,590,165 issued in grants to programs by the NVF in 2015-2016 to “protect the rights of citizens to political and social freedom and equality.”3
All Above All does not appear on the New Venture Fund’s website.
Supreme Court Nominees
Representatives for All Above All are frequently quoted by the media as pro-abortion advocates. All Above All has lobbied against the nomination of President Donald Trump’s appointees to the Supreme Court. Co-director Destiney Lopez released a statement saying that the appointment of Brett Kavanaugh “would be disastrous for poor women and people of color,” and would lead to the criminalization of abortion.5 The organization similarly criticized Neil Gorsuch’s appointment to the court.6
When Senate Republicans put forward healthcare reforms in 2017, Lopez condemned the proposals for refusing to publicly fund abortions.7
At the state and local level, All Above All is organizing pro-abortion efforts in California, Oregon, West Virginia, and Minnesota.8 In California, All Above All is pushing the passage of SB 320, which would require student health centers on college campuses to be equipped with abortion medication.9 In West Virginia, All Above All tried to stop the passage of SJR 12 – which, if passed by a referendum in November 2018, would amend the state constitution to say that “Nothing in this Constitution secures or protects a right to abortion or requires the funding of abortion.”10
EACH Woman Act
H.R. 771 was introduced to the House on January 31, 2017, by Rep. Barbara Lee (D-California). The act has 134 co-sponsors, all of them Democrats.11 If passed into law, the act would “ensure coverage for abortion care in public health insurance programs including Medicaid, Medicare, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program,” and would prevent state and federal governments from interfering in the way private health insurance companies choose to cover abortion – in effect, reversing the rules of the Hyde Amendment.12
Women’s March 2022
Representatives from All Above all attended and spoke at The Women’s March 2022 in Washington DC on October 8, 2022. 13
Leadership and Partner Organizations
All Above All is a major player within the pro-abortion movement, and as such is highly connected to liberal individuals and organizations. The non-profit’s steering committee includes leading members from All Options, the National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda, the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health, the National Network of Abortion Funds, and the National LGBTQ Taskforce.15
The group celebrates what it calls “Acts of Boldness” when supporters publicly champion the EACH Woman Act. The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) has given its support to the All Above All legislative proposals.16
- Markay, Lachlan. “Over 100 Left-Wing Groups Sourced to DC Dark Money Outfit.” Washington Free Beacon. October 22, 2015. Accessed January 08, 2019. https://freebeacon.com/issues/over-100-left-wing-groups-sourced-to-d-c-dark-money-outfit/.
- “Mission,” All Above All About. Accessed September 14, 2018. https://allaboveall.org/about/about-all-above-all/.
- Tigas, Mike, Sisi Wei, Ken Schwencke, and Alec Glassford. “Nonprofit Explorer.” ProPublica. May 09, 2013. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/205806345/201723179349305572/IRS990.
- “New Venture Fund.” The David and Lucile Packard Foundation. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://www.packard.org/grants-and-investments/grants-database/new-venture-fund-42/.
- Lopez, Destiny. “Why Poor & Marginalized Women Will Pay The Price If Trump’s SCOTUS Pick Is Confirmed.” Bustle. September 03, 2018. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://www.bustle.com/p/putting-brett-kavanaugh-on-the-supreme-court-would-be-disastrous-for-poor-marginalized-women-10257315.
- Klabusich, Katie. “SCOTUS Pick Neil Gorsuch Would Be A Disaster For Civil Rights.” Medium. February 01, 2017. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://medium.com/the-establishment/scotus-pick-neil-gorsuch-would-be-a-disaster-for-civil-rights-8f3aaa4aba71.
- Bassett, Laura. “GOP Sweetens Healthcare Bill For Conservatives By Dropping Birth Control Coverage Rule.” The Huffington Post. September 25, 2017. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gop-health-care-bill-birth-control_us_59c94c08e4b06ddf45fa4446.
- “All Above All.” All Above All About All Above All Comments. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://allaboveall.org/state-and-local/.
- All Above All.” All Above All About All Above All Comments. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://allaboveall.org/state-and-local/california/.
“Text.” Bill Text – SB-320. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB320.
- Jenkins, Jeff. “Legislature Completes Work on SJR 12, Vote Coming in November.” WV MetroNews – Drug Epidemic Puts More West Virginia Kids into Foster Care; ‘It Is Getting Worse,’ Agency Official Says. Accessed September 13, 2018. http://wvmetronews.com/2018/03/05/legislature-completes-work-on-sjr-12-vote-coming-in-november/.
NRL News. “West Virginia Senate Overwhelmingly Passes SJR 12 to Rectify Pro-abortion State Supreme Court Decision.” NRL News Today. February 09, 2018. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://www.nationalrighttolifenews.org/news/2018/02/west-virginia-senate-overwhelmingly-passes-sjr-12-rectify-pro-abortion-state-supreme-court-decision/.
“All Above All.” All Above All About All Above All Comments. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://allaboveall.org/state-and-local/.
- “All Info – H.R.771 – 115th Congress (2017-2018): Equal Access to Abortion Coverage in Health Insurance (EACH Woman) Act of 2017.” Congress.gov. February 10, 2017. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/771/all-info.
- Text – H.R.771 – 115th Congress (2017-2018): Equal Access to Abortion Coverage in Health Insurance (EACH Woman) Act of 2017.” Congress.gov. February 10, 2017. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/hr771/BILLS-115hr771ih.pdf.
- Carlberg, Shea. “Thousands Attend Women’s March as Midterms Approach.” The GW Hatchet. https://www.gwhatchet.com, October 10, 2022. https://www.gwhatchet.com/2022/10/10/thousands-attend-womens-march-as-midterms-approach/.
- “All* above All Announces Morgan Hopkins as New President.” All* Above All, October 21, 2022. https://allaboveall.org/updates/all-above-all-announces-morgan-hopkins-as-new-president-to-lead-network-of-more-than-150-partners-and-expand-abortion-justice/.
- “All Above All.” All Above All Leadership. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://allaboveall.org/about/aboutstaff-bios/.
- “All Above All.” All Above All About All Above All Comments. Accessed September 13, 2018. https://allaboveall.org/acts-of-boldness/.